Sahuaro’s Costco Paper Drive and Donation Fundraiser

Mekayla Phan, Features Editor

On Thursday, April 5, the Costco on Grant and Wilmot hosted a fundraiser for paper and supplies towards local schools, Sahuaro being on them. There was an overwhelming support from the community, and our school received an abundance of donations.

For several years in the past, Costco has done similar fundraisers for schools – such as the paper drive. However, this is the first time the fundraiser lasted the whole day.

How the fundraiser worked was that for every $100 shoppers spent, Sahuaro would earn a ream of paper for free when you turned in the receipt.
In addition to the paper drive, there was also a box where shoppers could donate school supplies that teachers are in need of. Every department received items from their wish-list, such as: pens, tennis balls, non-latex gloves, Clorox wipes, books for the library, snacks for the Special E.D students, and products for the nurse’s office.

Sahuaro English teacher Ms. Krause who was at Costco, says, “It’s really nice Costco does this… It’s a nice gift to give back to the community.”  Mrs. Watters wanted to thank the community of parents and faculty at our school supporting this effort and donating items to us and helping to raise so much paper. Many teachers participated. The PTSA, and especially Maria Saavedra
played an integral role in organizing the event.  Sahuaro is incredibly grateful to all the parents and community who continuously step up to support our school  Sahuaro received 16 cases of printer paper, with each case containing 10 reams.