STUCO Attends AASC Spirit Convention

Giselle Enriquez, Editor-In-Chief

Cowboys and spirit. Spirit and cowboys. What exactly do these things have to do with each other? The Arizona Association of Student Council’s Spirit Convention. This year’s theme for the convention was Saddle Up For Leadership, and Sahuaro’s Student Council got the opportunity to attend yet another Arizona AASC event. The convention was held at Tucson High School on August 29th, with a number of student councils from all over Arizona coming to enjoy the show.

“It was lit,” said junior class senator, Austin Molina. Walking into a spirit convention, is like entering a utopian high school with hundreds of spirited teenagers all ready to be enlightened with guest speakers and performances. Apart from the wonderful presentations by Tucson High’s drum line, flockorico, and choir, the convention also held two keynote speakers: Harriet Turk,  who for more than 20 years has been inspiring teens and adults to discover their true selves and pursue a life of happiness and success; and EPIC Assemblies,  who put on a show through dancing, acting, and singing, creating an intense and captivating presentation, teaching students to talk about their struggles instead of turning to a life of destructive behavior.

“It was a really energetic and upbeat environment,” said junior class secretary Danielle Jamieson. “It was my first time going, so I didn’t really know what to expect, but it was so fun being around all these different schools and seeing how much pride everyone there took in their school. The DJ was awesome and everyone was dancing together which was really enjoyable.”

“Spirit conference has such a fun and prideful atmosphere. The spirit and leaders around different schools is inexplicable, ” said senior class president, Madison Baity.

Through all the hay, western belts, student outlaws, and human cacti, the convention was a total hoedown.

picc