Cougar Blood Drive a Success

Jordon Valenzuela, Reporter

Sahuaro’s annual blood drive took place on Tuesday, October 18, 2016. Eighty four kids and a parent all donated blood with 63 sign-ins and 21 walk-ins from 7 am to 2:30 pm. Everyone who donated received a treat from trail mix, Cheez-its, water, cranberry juice, a sticker, and a shirt after donating blood.

Mikayla Suba, a second year volunteer for the blood drive said she could not donate blood due to a newly-inked tattoo on her body, but she still wanted to help out in some way possible, so she joined the blood drive volunteers. I asked Mikayla if the students just wanted to get out class and mess around after giving blood. Mikayla responded with “No, Sahauro as a whole is kind and I really believe they wanted to help someone.”

Taylor Reynolds, another 2nd year volunteer, was disappointed that last year a blood drop costume was worn as a mascot for the blood drive, but unfortunately this year, we did not have the blood drop costume.  She also missed her chance last year too but she is planning to wear it when the opportunity presents itself. Sahauro donated four more pints of blood this year compared to last year’s, with a total of 60 pints.

According to the American Red Cross, there are very important reasons to donate blood.

Reason #1:
Every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood. That means more than 38,000 blood donations are needed per day.
Reason #2:
Each pint of donated whole blood is separated into two or three other products, so each donation can help save up to three lives.
Reason #3:
Donating blood is a simple four-step process: registration, medical history and mini-physical, donation and refreshments (cookies!)
Reason #4:
Blood donation is an opportunity to volunteer. Wouldn’t it feel good to put out your arm for a cause and walk away knowing you’ve contributed to the good health of someone other than yourself?
Reason #5:
More than 1 million new people are diagnosed with cancer each year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.