Sahuaro Choir Makes State

Nora Thompson, Cougart Editor

For those of you who haven’t heard the Sahuaro High School Advanced Choir in concert, you’re seriously missing out.  They are some of the most talented students at the school. In fact at  the Fall Choir Festival hosted by the Arizona Choral Educators (ACE Festival) at Catalina Foothills High School on October 28th, they earned the rank of superior, which is the highest score a choir can get.  The festival has some stringent rules that mostly can only be understood by people involved with Choir.  For example, during Site Reading, students this year were allowed to sing during the two minutes re-cap period after reading the exercise. They may sing individually or in sections, but cannot sing the exercise all together homophonically. Directors were still not allowed to sing other than the tonic triad and starting pitches.

They earned their superior rating with two songs Joshua by Rollo Dilworth and Angel Breathing Out by Alisa Bair. All choirs that earn an excellent or a superior qualify for the State Choral Festival.

“I think this is going to be a chance for redemption because we did good last year at state but this yer I think we can do even better!” says Mandy Worrel, a Junior.

This is the second year that Sahuaro’s Choir has made it and hopefully not the last.  Congratulations to our singing Cougars!