WWII Veterans Visit Sahauro

Francisco Acuna, Reporter

On November 9th, 2016. Social Studies teacher, Ms. Stevenson, invited three World War II veterans to visit her classroom. These veterans are part of Honor Flight. Honor Flight is a non-profit organization with a mission of taking veterans to Washington, D.C. to see the memorials that have been made in honor of their sacrifices and the sacrifices of their friends. Honor Flight is in deep need of donations to be able to make these trips reality.

The three visiting Vets went into the war at a very young age. “I was 19 and I had barely just graduated high school,” recalls Ted Glinski. Like many, they were first suggested by their families to enlist so they could choose the branch of the military they would join.  It’s hard to imagine how you would continue your life after having been in war. When asked, Jack Wilt stated about how life went after the war he said, “My experience isn’t exactly unique. I just went on with my life like most of us did. We didn’t really have time to stop and think about what had happened. Our  lives were paused by the war. We just wanted to pick up where we had left off.”

On Friday November 11th, the nation will be celebrating Veteran’s Day to honor all those who have sacrificed and fought for our country. Be sure to thank all the brave men and women who put their lives on the line to protect others.