Starting Now! Toys For Tots

Actress Lucy Hale kicks off the Duracell Power Holiday Smiles program to benefit Toys for Tots by making a surprise visit with battery-operated toys for students at P.S. 64, Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2012, in New York.  The program aims to power 500,000 smiles for families in need with the help of consumers.  Visit Facebook.com/Durecell for more information. (Photo by Jason DeCrow for Duracell)

Jason DeCrow

Actress Lucy Hale kicks off the Duracell Power Holiday Smiles program to benefit Toys for Tots by making a surprise visit with battery-operated toys for students at P.S. 64, Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2012, in New York. The program aims to power 500,000 smiles for families in need with the help of consumers. Visit Facebook.com/Durecell for more information. (Photo by Jason DeCrow for Duracell)

Giselle Enriquez, Editor-In-Chief

Today’s children are tomorrow’s leaders. About fifteen million children in the United States  live in families with incomes below the federal poverty threshold. Studies reveal that growing up in poverty can have a psychological impact on a child.  One of the  impacts is little or no hope for the future. The Toys For Tots program, delivers a message of hope to these children.

Although the Holiday Spirit is in the air, there are children all around the world who will not be receiving a single toy for the holidays. The mission of the U. S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program is to collect new, unwrapped toys during December each year, and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to the less fortunate children in the community in which the campaign is conducted (Toys For Tots).

Sahuaro High School has been challenged by both Sabino High School, and Rincon High School to unite forces and collect the most toys for the less fortunate youth of America. The primary goal for each school is to collect the most NEW UNWRAPPED toys to donate to the Toys For Tots movement. Here at Sahuaro, the collection will start on the 12th of December and each student/ faculty member will be able to donate a toy to any box in any classroom.

“There are a lot of kids whose parents can’t afford to give them toys, and if we have the ability to get toys, so should they,” said chair of the Toys For Tots Committee, Chloe Chavez. The new toy which millions of needy children receive each Christmas through the Toys for Tots program, delivers a message of hope. It’s up to the Cougar Family to not only show Rincon and Sabino how it’s done, but to help the children of America enjoy this Holiday season to the fullest.