Senior Q&A with Lylah Field

Jacob Hernandez, Reporter

Q: What has been your best memory at Sahuaro?

A: Making it into the Arizona All-State Choir under the direction of Ms. Barnes.

Q: How was the Arizona All-State Choir?

A: The All-State Choir was a phenomenal experience. I got to work with a professor from Temple University of Pennsylvania and we had a rigorous three-day long rehearsal schedule at the NAU campus. In order to get there, I had to practice sight-reading music totaling at least 15 hours a week, and had to prepare a solo in a foreign language, which I chose as French. Definitely the most difficult competition I’ve competed in.

Q: How long have you been singing/or doing choir?

A: Since fourth grade, so about eight years.

Q: If you could go back and change one thing about your high school career, what would it be?

A: I would take more time to invest in normal high school things like dances and football games.

Q: What are your plans after high school?

A: I plan on pursuing a vocal performance with the school and performing with the school of Fine Arts at the University of Arizona. I want to eventually get my music education degree as well and also teach.

Q: How did you find the time to do choir and study?

A: I’ve had a job, three AP classes, and choir last year and this year as well. I just made sure to time manage effectively and found myself doing homework in any second of spare time. Music naturally fits into my life though since I take it as a class and also do a lot of at-home rehearsal. It may seem impossible, but when you’re dedicated to doing it, it comes with ease.

Q: How do you feel about Sahuaro as a whole?

A: I came to Sahuaro my sophomore year from Cienega, and the people at Sahuaro are definitely more welcoming and a lot more enthusiastic about the school. Also with the choir director I have been able to come across way more opportunities than I would’ve had elsewhere. As a whole Sahuaro has been really good for seeking out opportunity.

Q: How did you get over your shyness after coming to Sahuaro?

A: I met Zoe Thomas, who quickly became my best friend and that just reflected throughout the rest of my social skills. Being a performer also helped since it requires you to come out of your shell.