Sahuaro Hosts Multi-School Choir Concert and Heads to All-State

Max Becker, Sports Editor

On Wednesday, March 29th, Sahuaro High School hosted a choir concert in collaboration with several other TUSD schools. The concert was free for those who wanted to attend, and offered a variety of music. However, almost all of the schools performed at least one Russian song from a variety of composers, including the venerable Sergei Rachmanioff.

The concert, hosted by Sahuaro’s own Mrs. Barnes in the Sahuaro auditorium, featured performances from Tucson High, Rincon/UHS, Palo Verde, Sabino, and of of course, our very own advanced choir. Each school came up onto the stage and performed two songs individually, and at the conclusion of the show, all of the schools came together and performed one song in harmony.

There were many parents and family in attendance, as well as representatives and teachers from every school involved. Also in attendance was the head of choir study from Pima Community College, which was an exciting opportunity for those hoping to pursue collegiate choir studies.

The Sahuaro choir still has one final school-wide concert, being performed soon. Ms. Barnes was also thrilled to announce four students will be gone on Thursday 4/6 and Friday 4/7 because they will be singing the Arizona All-State Choir.

The qualifying process involves two grueling auditions (which have two parts to each; a solo, and sight-reading), and participation in the Region Choir.

The clinic is two days of intense rehearsal followed by a concert on Saturday at 5pm in Gammage Auditorium at ASU. ASU is the host school for the All-State Band, Choir and Orchestra this year. Dr. Jonathan Talberg from California State University Long Beach (one of Ms. Barnes’ dad’s alma maters) is the clinician. Ms. Barnes invites you to check this you tube link for the exquisite work he and his choirs do (and to hear one of the All-State choir pieces):

Ms. Barnes wrote:

Please congratulate:

Lylah Field (who just in the last 24 hours moved up to be able to go with us!)
Sean Leonard (a JUNIOR made 11th chair bass!)
TJ Simon (new to the choir scene, he made 14th chair bass)
Barbora Vritkova (yes, our adorable and talented foreign exchange student from Slovakia made it!)