Pueblo + Xanax

Pueblo + Xanax

Lily Merritt, Opinion Editor

Nearly two weeks ago, seven students were taken to the hospital from the Pueblo High School campus after each taking Xanax. Xanax is a prescription medication for those who suffer with chemical imbalances leading to anxiety. It is also one of the most addictive drugs in the prescription medication industry, which is why it is illegal to be prescribed to any adolescent under the age of 18. An overdose of the drug can lead to rapid seizures, a coma, or even death.

John Leggio, director of The Mark Youth and Family Care Campus, reports, “We have seen a tremendous increase in that especially in the last year. And I would say that 40 to 50 percent of our young clients who come to treatment here have had problems with Xanax abuse and dependence.” Once a tolerance is built to Xanax, it makes it even easier to overdose. This increases the risk amongst teens, with them being the most susceptible to overdose as it is.

In the incident 8 students had taken Xanax total, with all but one needing immediate medical attention. Principal, Auggie Romero, suspects that there are more unidentified students involved in the scandal after confiscating a sizeable amount of the drug.

Source: kgun9