Sahuaro Signing Day 2k17 – Ten Athletes Commit

Max Becker, Sports Editor

On Wednesday, April 19th, students, parents, teachers, and coaches gathered in the Career Center to celebrate as ten of our Sahuaro Seniors officially sign to their respective colleges to pursue their athletic dreams.

The ceremonies began with our Athletic Director, Sandy Novak, giving a short speech thanking the families and coaches of our student athletes for their support and dedication to their children. She then invited the coaches to come up and individually say a word about their athletes.

Devan Gary signed to Buena Vista University in Iowa for basketball. His coach described him as, “Probably the toughest guy in town.”

Morgan Nash signed to Missouri Southern State University for volleyball. Her coach said, “She brings so many things to the table, as an athlete and a person.”

Kylee Martin committed to Pima Community College to play soccer. Her coach described her as, “An amazing person off the field who plays with incredible intensity on the field.”

Lexy Coons committed to Grand Canyon University to play softball. Her coach wanted to thank her for her four years on varsity.

Sam Kalberer committed to Scottsdale Community College to play baseball. His coach described him as, “The heart and soul of this team.”

Hailey Ward signed to West Texas A&M to play softball. Her coach described her as, “One of the best centerfielders he’s seen in the past 12 years.”

Jacob Adams committed to Wayland Baptist University to play baseball. His coach described him as, “One of the best arms we have.”

Brendan Gary committed to Buena Vista as well to play basketball. His coach said, “Personally, I think he is the best player in town this year.”

Ivan Hostetler, referred to by his teammates as “Princess”, committed to Bairstow Community College to play baseball. His coach described him as, “One of the most fired up kids we have, playing catch or playing checkers.”

Finally, Ariana Gomez signed to Pima Community College to play softball. Her coach described her as, “Getting better and better everyday.”

The ceremony concluded with the athletes signing their papers, officially showing their commitment to collegiate athletics.

Once a Cougar, Always a Cougar.