JTED Senior Graduate Jessica Salido

JTED Senior Graduate Jessica Salido

Jessica Salido is a senior at Sahuaro High School and recently graduated from JTED (Joint Technical Education District). She will graduate with her high school diploma and her CCMA (Clinical Certified Medical Assistant). This gives her an opportunity to work side-by-side with a physician and she can work in clinics or hospitals.  This is her second year in JTED and some of the skills she learned included administrative skills, rooming patients, phlebotomy, injections, and suturing.

Some of the challenges she faced included driving everyday after school, all the to Empire High School. Another challenge is the students in the program were constantly tested on their skills that they learned and performed. Most of the her days were 18 hours long, due to the workload she received from Sahuaro and JTED. There were times when it was tough for her because meanwhile her friends were going to the movies, and she was in school or studying. Despite this, she says, “I believe for anything worth having one must pay the price and the price is always work, patience, love, and dedication.”

When we asked her what her biggest motivation was, she responded that her mom was her biggest motivational support, “She pushed me to do better everyday, and she always has an answer to my problems.”  Another person who motivated her was Ms. Lopez, her JTED teacher because she was extremely understanding, helpful, and she learned a lot from her. She was honored to have been her student.

After high school she plans to attend The University of Arizona, and work part-time as a medical assistant. This way being a medical assistant gets her foot in the door while she obtains her Bachelor Degree, and then medical school. “I’ve always been passionate about medicine, and about helping others. I’m always looking for ways to help other people.”