• October 4Blood Drive October 16th

• September 22FALL BREAK October 8-12

• September 22Teacher Grading Day October 5

Let the Games Begin…With Fire and Fury?

Amanda Mourelatos, Contributor

As arguments arise among the U.S. and North Korea and new missiles are being tested, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is watching from afar, for now. The 2018 Winter Olympics are planning to be held 50 miles across the border of North Korea, but with the missile testing the IOC is having to monitor the situation. Trump has threatened North Korea by saying they “will be met with fire and fury” if any word of harming is brought upon the U.S. The leader of North Korea, Kim Jong Un, has made threats to fire missiles at Guam, which happens to be home to 163,000 citizens. These heated situations all may have an impact on the upcoming Olympics.

“There is no reason to be too worried at the moment. We are five or six months away from the Olympics. We are monitoring the situation carefully. Of course if the tensions escalate, we’ll need to adapt. But Pyeongchang is ready to host the games,” says the France Olympic Committee president, Denis Masselgia. The county of Pyeongchang is located somewhere in the Taebaek Mountains region. As of now, it is safe to travel to South Korea and there are no warnings against it.

Trump and Kim recently butted heads and Trump fired a threatening response back at him about the missile firings. Trump sent a powerful message to defend America saying North Korea will experience fire, fury and power “like the world has never seen.” He repeats himself to clearly get his word and idea out there. Some members of Congress are now questioning the authority of the president when it comes to his ability to strike first.

Between President Trump’s fiery words and the flaming missiles being tested by North Korea, things are pretty heated in the U.S. and Korea. The IOC is keeping a close eye on the situation just in case it gets too out of hand and the Olympics may take place somewhere else. Also with a target on our back, the U.S. has to be ready for anything. Things are still going according to plan with the Olympics, but there is so much that can change from now until then.

Sources: The Presidential Daily Brief; The Press Democrat; BBC News

Amanda Mourelatos, Associate Editor-in-Chief

Amanda Mourelatos is a sophomore at Sahuaro High School and the Associate Editor in Chief of The Paper Cut. She is a soccer player who has been playing for over 10 years. She also plays vibraphone in the marching band and plays drum set for fun. Also, she adores rock music and she attends rock concerts very frequently; she will have attended 12 concerts in 5 years at the end of 2018. She enjoys reading, painting, and drawing in her free time to calm her. Her friends describe her as sweet, supportive, understanding, and eccentric. She enjoys making others smile and laugh. Also, Amanda is very easy- going and loves to live in the moment. She has a strong passion for photography and shares the passion with her dad. She has always been better in English than math and embraces it through writing. She loves to nerd out and embrace her love for different television shows, books, and music by quoting them constantly. You will come to find that Amanda is an outgoing, well rounded, and approachable young lady that is just trying to live life to the fullest.