All About NHS

All About NHS

Attention sophomores and juniors: if you get the opportunity to apply for the National Honor Society, take my advice and do it. NHS is a great way to give back to the community, as well as boost your college applications. In NHS you can partake in tutoring, Service Saturdays, blood drives, and more. It is also a great way to make a new group of friends and get some leadership experience. “NHS is a great opportunity to help you prepare for your future and better your community,” says Alanna Burke (Senior), the NHS president.

There are a few requirements to get in and stay in. Near the end of your sophomore or junior year, if you meet certain requirements, you will be given an application. First, you must have at least a 3.7 GPA, so if you fell behind freshman year, make sure to get your grades up this semester. When applying, you should also have participated in some form of community service. Once in the program, you must spend one conference period tutoring students who come in, take part in a Service Saturday, and volunteer for ten hours outside of school. Think you can manage that? If so, make sure to apply if given the chance. NHS is a nationally renowned program that appeals to high-end universities, if that’s something you’re looking into.

NHS is the perfect society to get into if you’re looking to better your resume and your city. For more information, see Mr. Dennis, NHS sponsor, in room 208.