Trinity Thompson: Forever A Cougar

Trinity Thompson: Forever A Cougar

Laura Mejia, Sports Editor

Sahuaro is mourning the loss of one of our own.  Trinity Thompson, Cougar of the class 2019, sadly passed away on Septmber 13, 2017. She was born on May 5, 2000 in Ashland, Kentucky to parents Lucio and Jacqueline Murillo.  She was 17 years old. She had 5 siblings named Calyx, Heidy, Victoria, Lucio III, and Constantino. Trinity’s normal life all changed when she was 10-years-old and became paralyzed, thus beginning her “new normal,” but she never let her condition bring her down. According to her mom, Jaqueline Murillo, Trinity loved science and wanted to become a medical researcher to be able to help people like herself. She would always be researching how the body works and functions, and they would always talk about finding cures for paralysis and other horrible diseases. Trinity just wanted to help and was “very intelligent beyond her years.”

Trinity was a very hard worker who was on the right track to graduate. Her former math teacher, Debbie Donnelly, said, “Trinity was a great student from the time I had her.  She had a great outlook on things, was always positive, and always participated when she could.” Another one of Trinity’s teachers, Betty Ramirez, said, “I will always miss Trinity, but I’m glad she’s not suffering anymore. We had a special bond and communicated very well. She’s walking up in heaven.” One of Trinity’s close friends, senior Megan Cook, stated, “Trinity was a great friend and amazing person overall, although she was very sassy.  Her favorite thing to do was call me.  Of course, I remember when we would go trick or treating together. I miss her so much, but I’m glad she’s not suffering anymore.” Kailah Penner, another one of Trinity’s close friends, said, “Trinity was so funny. We would always make jokes together. I remember the first day I met Trinity  – we were both new 6th graders at Secrist and we hit it off instantly, we had math and art together and would always be partners, we were best friends. Trinity loved to paint and do paper mache. I miss her so much.”

Trinity was part of Student Council.  Her StuCo peers stated, “Trinity was always so sweet and willing to help in the Student Council committees.” She will truly be missed by all who knew her.

Trinity will indeed be missed very dearly, but she will never be forgotten; once a Cougar always a Cougar. A mass for her will be held at 10 am this Saturday, September 30th at St. Francis De Sales Catholic Church, followed by a funeral at East Lawn Palms Mortuary.