Artist Spotlight: Samantha Crowson

Artist Spotlight: Samantha Crowson

Jocelyn Reeder, Feature Editor

Art is a daily part of our lives. Art is all around us, and it comes in many different forms. You can paint, draw, sculpt, and so much more. Samantha Crowson is a junior at Sahuaro and loves to draw. She got really into art when she was a kid, and has been practicing ever since. Samantha took Mr. Long’s art class her freshman and sophomore year but is not taking it this year. She goes to Art Club after school every Thursday.

When I asked Samantha why she started, she replied, “I am not 100% sure what inspired me; I kind of just got into it. There are so many things you can draw and decorate. It is endless.” There is not really anything she does not like about art.

She loves that you can make just about anything you want. She personally prefers drawing people because you can create someone you want to be or something you just imagined in your mind – you can get as creative as you want. “There isn’t really anything I don’t like about art.” One thing she said she could improve on is drawing hands.

According to Samantha, a plus of art is that you can see your improvements over time, which can be both surprising and teachable. “I redrew something from 2013 and it was just shocking how much I have advanced through the years,” Samantha said.

“I love art and I definitely think that in the future I will continue to do art, not as a career, but more as a hobby.”  Samantha’s advice for people who want to improve their skills is that “Drawing isn’t the easiest task. Sometimes you can spend hours on one thing, but when you love it, it’s easy to get past the hardships. If you do that most often, you will get something you generally love!”