• October 4Blood Drive October 16th

• September 22FALL BREAK October 8-12

• September 22Teacher Grading Day October 5

Get a Clean Sweep for a Clean Sleep

This Is What Happened After Four Days

Amanda Mourelatos, Co-Editor of Cougart and Community Builder

Just like any other teenager, I go to bed late, stay up all night on my phone or watching Netflix, and regret it when I wake up at 5:00 a.m. every morning. Then my dad brought up the “clean sleep” to me, which involves going to bed at the same, reasonable time every night, no caffeine right before bed, no reading before bed, no blue light devices before bed, etc. So, my set bedtime for this week was reading from 9:15 to 9:30, then having all devices put away by 9:35.

Day 1: I read The Death Cure for fifteen minutes and wrapped up my texting conversations; my book and phone were away by 9:35.  Since I normally stay up between 10:00-11:00 at night, I had some trouble falling asleep at first. I probably fell asleep around 9:45. This morning, I felt a little more energized and got out of bed easier. Normally I’m an absolute bear to get up (just ask my mom if you don’t believe me), but not today! Sure, I was a little groggy during 0 period, but I was on my feet by the time 1st and 2nd rolled around. Just in time for my tests!

Day 2: Last night, I played in the pep band for the Coaches vs. Cancer game and developed a painful headache, so I didn’t read. I did, however, shove a Hot Pocket down my throat and go to bed at the same time as Monday night. I woke up this morning feeling slightly more rested than the night before and a lot more rested than last weekend. Going to bed at the same time every night is making it easier and easier to fall asleep and I feel calmer. This morning, I wasn’t nearly as tired as I have been in past mornings. During drumline (my 0 period), I was alert and on my game more than usual.

Day 3: I think this is working. I don’t feel as tired as I normally do. Normally, I’m on the verge of passing out in some of my classes, but not anymore. I practiced my etudes for band, read a little, then went to bed at 9:35. I’m noticing that I’m falling asleep quicker since I have a regular sleep schedule now. My mornings are going smoother and I’m actually waking up instead of waking up and going back to sleep because of how exhausted I am.

Day 4: Looking back on my old sleep schedule, I was always tired and it affected my life in a negative way. I was constantly complaining and I’m sure it annoyed others. I feel better and healthier, too. Falling asleep at night and waking up is getting easier. I read a little before bed and it’s very calming. This morning, I woke up and got out of bed and actually stayed up. I’ve been more focused and interested in class this week, especially in the mornings during my first couple of periods instead of falling asleep on my snare drum during 0 period (don’t worry, I’m exaggerating, but sometimes I wish I could).

Setting a sleep schedule has really helped me to maintain the proper amount of hours I need to stay healthy, function properly, and feel awake and alert. If you have trouble falling asleep at night or waking up in the morning, I highly suggest going to sleep at the same time every night an giving yourself leisure time to settle down and prepare yourself and your body for sleep.

Amanda Mourelatos, Associate Editor-in-Chief

Amanda Mourelatos is a sophomore at Sahuaro High School and the Associate Editor in Chief of The Paper Cut. She is a soccer player who has been playing for over 10 years. She also plays vibraphone in the marching band and plays drum set for fun. Also, she adores rock music and she attends rock concerts very frequently; she will have attended 12 concerts in 5 years at the end of 2018. She enjoys reading, painting, and drawing in her free time to calm her. Her friends describe her as sweet, supportive, understanding, and eccentric. She enjoys making others smile and laugh. Also, Amanda is very easy- going and loves to live in the moment. She has a strong passion for photography and shares the passion with her dad. She has always been better in English than math and embraces it through writing. She loves to nerd out and embrace her love for different television shows, books, and music by quoting them constantly. You will come to find that Amanda is an outgoing, well rounded, and approachable young lady that is just trying to live life to the fullest.