• October 4Blood Drive October 16th

• September 22FALL BREAK October 8-12

• September 22Teacher Grading Day October 5

Rest Easy, Tinky Winky

Amanda Mourelatos, Co-Editor of Cougart and Community Builder

The beloved actor of Tinky Winky, Simon Shelton, from the Teletubbies passed away at the age of 52. Also known as Simon Barnes, he embodied the purple costume of a character from our childhoods and his passing came very suddenly. After collapsing in the streets of Liverpool, he unfortunately died of hypothermia, according to locals. Merseyside Police (England, UK) confirmed the discovery of his body at around 7:30am on January 17th.

The Teletubbies were colorful, bubbly characters who had screens in their chests, hence the name of the show. Their energetic personalities entertained babies and toddlers ever since 1997 and Barnes took over the role of Tinky Winky from 1998 to 2001 when Dave Thompson was fired. Barnes described being in the Teletubbies as “a bit like the Beatles or Take That of television”. A fellow Teletubby, John Simmit as Dipsy, made a post about him over social media. “What a week! RIP Simon Shelton aka Tinky Winky: remembering the many good times. Rest easy,” he said, “lots of messaging between cast and crew as we became a tight bunch over six years on location. We’ll give him an appropriate send off in a couple of weeks.” Family friend Judith Tynan, who lived with Barnes, wrote on social media: “Simon, I miss your company more than words can say x.” Simon Barnes has left his mark on our childhoods and his legacy will remain in our hearts.

Sources: HuffPost, Yahoo! News, The Sun

Amanda Mourelatos, Associate Editor-in-Chief

Amanda Mourelatos is a sophomore at Sahuaro High School and the Associate Editor in Chief of The Paper Cut. She is a soccer player who has been playing for over 10 years. She also plays vibraphone in the marching band and plays drum set for fun. Also, she adores rock music and she attends rock concerts very frequently; she will have attended 12 concerts in 5 years at the end of 2018. She enjoys reading, painting, and drawing in her free time to calm her. Her friends describe her as sweet, supportive, understanding, and eccentric. She enjoys making others smile and laugh. Also, Amanda is very easy- going and loves to live in the moment. She has a strong passion for photography and shares the passion with her dad. She has always been better in English than math and embraces it through writing. She loves to nerd out and embrace her love for different television shows, books, and music by quoting them constantly. You will come to find that Amanda is an outgoing, well rounded, and approachable young lady that is just trying to live life to the fullest.