African-American Heritage Day Another Success

Bethany Seal, Sports Editor

Students from all over Tucson gathered together on February 2nd for a celebration of African American Culture.  This year’s event took place at Pima Community College West, as more students attend every year and the venue has had to grow with them. Here, students came together to dance, sing, and take pride in who they are. Workshops were held for students who had aspirations for different professions and to become inspired by groups of people with similar interests. Students got the chance to perform their talents at the celebration, such as interpretive dancing, singing, and spoken word. It wasn’t just an event, but a place to share experiences and take pride in African American culture, and it gets bigger every year.

Katelyn Kubly, StuCo president, has gone all four years. She loves the performances and being able to group off with people who have similar interests in hobbies and professions as her. The importance of this event to her is to celebrate her culture with all kinds of people that she has never even met. For people who are considering going, she says that they should not think about it, and just give it a chance. “Take advantage of opportunities while you can, and the more you learn, the better you’ll be in life.”

Another student, Senior Calvin Nguyen, has gone to this celebration for the past two years. As a non-African American student, he goes to meet new people, watch them perform their talents, and learn more about the culture. He believed that this event was created to teach people of all ethnicities the importance of black lives, black culture, and to spread the word of what they have been through. He also got the chance to perform a hip-hop dance, which was definitely his favorite part. “At first I felt nervous, but throughout the day I got comfortable. I was a little shy until I started to meet people from other schools.” Calvin really enjoys the event, and for people who want to go, he says: “Make sure you’re having fun and get to meet new people.”

Students who have gone to African American Heritage Day encourage others to go, even if they are nervous about going. It is an amazing experience, and you’ll be able to meet new people to celebrate and learn more about their culture. You may also have the opportunity to perform for everyone, and spend time with people who are there to have fun and learn. If you are considering going, definitely talk to somebody who has gone to learn more!