• September 22FALL BREAK October 8-12

• September 22Teacher Grading Day October 5

“We are Going to be the Last Mass Shooting”

Rhea Rohr, Editor-in-Chief

Following the Florida shooting on February 14, the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School have started a revolution protesting the NRA and the accessibility of guns. Emma Gonzalez in particular has taken the world by storm, delivering a powerful twelve-minute speech on February 16 advocating for gun control and calling out politicians for accepting money from the NRA; Gonzalez has since become the face of the movement. Her Twitter account that she created mere days ago currently has more followers than the account for the NRA.

Gonzalez’ speech started out in anger of the ability of politicians to do nothing but offer their condolences, saying, “If all our government and President can do is send thoughts and prayers, then it’s time for victims to be the change that we need to see.” She called for gun control to prevent more mass shootings from happening. “We are going to be the kids you read about in textbooks. Not because we’re going to be another statistic about mass shooting in America, but because, just as David said, we are going to be the last mass shooting.”

Since the speech, Emma Gonzalez has received backlash from those concerned about gun control interfering with their second-amendment rights. Certain critics have claimed that their views are invalid or heavily influenced because of their age. “Students tend to know less, not more, than other people on most issues, due to their youth and inexperience.” Radio show host Alex Jones claimed “1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms,” implying that the American population would be unable to defend themselves without access to guns.

Emma Gonzalez, David Hogg, and the rest of the survivors of the shooting have succeeded in starting the March For Our Lives movement, and are planning a nation-wide march on Saturday, March 24, at 10:00 am. The students are planning to walk in Washington D.C., but there are walks occurring in almost every state, and in several outside countries. If you are in Tucson and would like to participate, the University of Arizona is hosting the march as well to protest lack of gun restrictions.

It is unclear how much of an impact this movement is going to have on America, but Trump and other politicians have been talking about restrictions, such as raising the age limit and having more thorough background checks.

As Emma Gonzalez stated, “He would not have harmed that many students with a knife.”

Rhea Rohr, Editor-in-Chief
Rhea Rohr is a senior and the Editor-in-Chief for the Paper Cut. She has a passion for music and wishes to pursue engineering outside of Tucson. In her spare time, she sleeps a lot, looks at pictures of dogs, and watches exclusively guilty pleasure shows. Her interests include strawberry popsicles and burning instead of tanning.