• September 22FALL BREAK October 8-12

• September 22Teacher Grading Day October 5

Benefits Of Not Consuming Red Meat

Haydee Pedersoli, Reporter

Americans eat more meat than almost anyone else in the world, according to NPR.org. Red meat is a top food choice for over 90% of the US population, but many people do not know that processed red meat is cancerous. Here are a few facts of what would happened if people consumed less of it.

You would lose weight- The average weight loss of a person going vegetarian is 7.5 pounds.

It would lower blood pressure-  Vegetarian/Vegans have less hypertension than meat eaters which is due to their lower average weight and their higher intake of fruits and vegetables.

It would reduce the risk of diabetes- A study shows that choosing a plant and egg based protein may help prevent type 2 diabetes. The study also shows that people who ate red meat each day had a 19 percent higher risk of getting type 2 diabetes.

Your cancer risk may drop- Countries that have a higher intake of fat from animal products have a higher incidence of breast cancer. Fatty foods boost the hormones that promote cancer. For example, Japan’s traditional diet is much lower in fat/animal fat, and breast cancer rates are low.

You skin will glow- They say that Vegetarianism is one of the best diets for skin. Eating a large amount of fresh fruits, whole grains and vegetables loads up a person with antioxidants and neutralizes the free radicals that causes brown spots, wrinkles and any sign of aging in a person.

You will smell better to your significant other- According to researchers in a study, men had a meat and then meatless diet for two weeks and researchers collected body odor from them.  Women assessed the odor to see which they preferred. Women found the meatless diet more attractive, less intense and more pleasant.

You may be happier- Adding more fruits and vegetables to your food is a natural mood booster. The average American gets less than three servings daily.

Your energy levels might increase- Consuming more spinach, kale, beans and any kind of food that is high in dietary nitrates may help a person feel energized over time.

Haydee Pedersoli, Reporter
Haydee Pedersoli is a Junior, working as a Reporter for The Paper Cut. She enjoys baking and photography. She considers herself a very bubbly person and she loves to paint and read as well.