• April 25Drama production of High School Musical April 26 (understudy) and May 3-5 (main cast)

• April 24All TUSD schools closed Thurs. April 26 and Fri. April 27 due to teacher walkout; sports not affected

• April 16Prom on April 27 at Skyline Country Club 8:00 to 12:00

• April 15Prom tickets: $60 for singles, $110 for couples

Cougars Win The Tony Komadina Award!

Bethany Seal, Sports Editor

After competing against over 100 schools statewide, Sahuaro High School has been selected as the 2017-2018 4A-6A Tony Komadina Award Recipient! The committee decided that we showed the most excellence in our female athletic programs, proving that we make equality between our men’s and women’s sports our top priority. In an email sent to our principal, Mr. Estrella and our Athletics Director, Steve Botkin, they congratulated us for the amazing achievement and gave us advice on how to further improve. Overall, they were impressed by the quality of our facilities and the success we have achieved in our athletics.  After interviewing female athletes, they stated, “Students feel they do not have to worry about inequity at school! (They) have dealt with it outside of school but have never thought of inequity on the school campus!!”

Sahuaro put a lot of time into preparing for the committee visit a few weeks ago, which you can read more about here.

Many of our Sahuaro teachers had lots to say about the importance of the award. Girls golf coach, Megan Hughes, was excited to hear the news. She helped her team win State Championships in 2013 and 2015, and has won TUSD Coach of the Year twice. “I think it’s great that Sahuaro prioritizes equity in sports programs. As a coach and a mother of two daughters, it is nice to see that girls’ programs are equally valued at this school. I think our girls’ sports programs are amazing, so I am very proud that we won this award!” They also gave kudos to our coaches, stating that they “Feel the coaches instill great values into them on and off the court.”

Becky Fajardo is our athletic trainer, and she was happy to hear that we had won. “Our girls’ sports program is amazing, and they deserved it!”

Track coach Robert Lane is proud of our female athletes. “I’m very excited, it’s a prestigious award and the fact that they chose use over other really good schools is a great feeling. Mr. Botkin has also done a really great job as our athletics director.”

Andrew Christian is our cross-country coach at Sahuaro. “I think (the award) illustrates all of the hard work our coaches and athletes do around the school. It’s nice for the students to be recognized for the things they achieve.”

Sahuaro will be presented with the Tony Komadina award at the AIA Champions Luncheon on May 21, 2017 at the University of Phoenix Stadium.