Juuls In School – Teens Find New Ways to Smoke on Campus

Juuls In School - Teens Find New Ways to Smoke on Campus

Samarah Peters, Freshman Liason

A popular handheld device containing high-nicotine has burst into popularity throughout high schools, and the flash drive looking device is called a Juul. This addictive palm sized e-cigarette was supposed to look like a computer flash drive to help smokers quit – not to give teenagers a new way to sneak the device in class.

E-Cigs are supposed to be much healthier than normal cigs, but that only works if you take a couple of puffs every once in a while, but teens are taking in the two hundred puffs in a dangerous amount of time. Two hundred puffs of an e-cig is as dangerous as a whole pack of normal cigs, and may be even more damaging. The smoke that leaves a Juul smells very pleasant, like perfume, and the smoke comes in such short amounts that one could smother it in their backpack or sleeve, making it extremely easy to hide on school campus.

With the device being as addicting as it is, kids are asking other kids for a couple puffs and that issue was solved by kids selling a hit for 3 dollars. The owners of the company have started a website to keep kids from using their project: [email protected]. “This product is solely for adult smokers,” said Castro, another person working with the Juul. “We absolutely condemn kids using our products.”

A male freshman at Sahuaro who didn’t want to be quoted due to certain reasons said, “I really didn’t like smoking it at first, like, it kinda just bothered my throat, but, like… it kinda just made me calmer, and that helped ’cause of all the stress of the testing, and quizzes and stuff… yeah, but it still sorta hurts my *throat*”

Parents and teachers can’t seem to keep up with modern technology and new ways kids are finding to sneak their bad habits.  The smokes say smoking can relax you, but it can also give you a head rush and a burst of positive emotions which is why most people enjoy using it. And while E-cigs are less dangerous than normal cigarettes, lung cancer is still a high risk when smoking anything at all.