R.I.P. Not An Example for G.O.P.

Azalia Munoz, Reporter

Mollie Tibbets was a University of Iowa student who made national headlines for the past month, from her disappearance to her murder to being the face of a political agenda. Tibbets was dog sitting when she decided to go for a jog, resulting in the unfortunate events that happened after. Those who live in Brooklyn, Iowa commented on how there has never been a situation where they had to lock their doors or even feel the need to. It is a small town where nothing significantly bad happens, so when Tibbets disappeared, it was a shock for the whole community.

Cristhian Bahena Rivera, an undocumented farm worker from Mexico, was charged with first-degree murder in her death. Many politicians are using this to push for stronger immigration laws. Tensions over immigration laws, sanctuary cities, and border walls have been high since Trump was elected president. Tibbets’ father, Rob Tibbets, feels it’s absurd to make her death about politics, stating, “Do not appropriate Mollie’s soul in advancing views she believed were profoundly racist.” He says that this is exactly what she wouldn’t have wanted to happen in this situation.

In respect for Mollie and her family, they have asked to stop the debates over her death, and to let her rest in peace. It just so happens that her killer was an undocumented immigrant during a time of tension. Republicans and conservatives shouldn’t make an example of this tragic events, and should instead focus on the life of Mollie Tibbets and the life she lived. As for her killer, one person shouldn’t represent a whole country. Tibbets will get justice, and Rivera will be sentenced accordingly.