• October 4Blood Drive October 16th

• September 22FALL BREAK October 8-12

• September 22Teacher Grading Day October 5

After 6 Long Years, The Murderer is Found

Alyssa Urff, Sahuaro News Editor

Christopher Matthew Clements, 36, has been indicted for the kidnapping and murders of Isabel Celis and Maribel Gonzalez.

Sergio Celis with Isabel Celis pictured (Source: Arizona Daily Star)

Isabel Celis disappeared from her Tucson home on April 20, 2012. The 6-year-old had been reportedly abducted from her bedroom window. Her disappearance was a shock for the entire Tucson community. Local efforts in trying to find Celis included inundations of flyers, posters, websites, social media pages, and more. News stations like Tucson News Now had a subheading dedicated to delivering any information on her being found.

Maribel Gonzalez (Source: Arizona Daily Star)

After an odd 9-1-1 call and other speculations, Sergio Celis, Isabel’s dad, was accused of being responsible for her disappearance. Both Sergio and his wife, Becky Celis, faced harsh public scrutiny. Sergio Celis made an agreement with Child Protective Services to not have visitation with Isabel’s two older brothers after all of the rumors.

Maribel Victoria Gonzalez, 13, disappeared on June 3, 2014, only two years after Celis had disappeared. She had told her parents that she was going to visit a friend but never returned home later that night. Her body was found on June 6, 2014 near North Trico and West Avra Valley Roads.

Sergio Celis and Becky Celis (Source: Arizona Daily Star)

Earlier this year in March, the FBI received a tip that Clements had information on Isabel Celis.

Isabel Celis’ remains were discovered 3 days later in a location close to North Trico and West Avra Valley Road where Maribel Gonzalez’s body was found. Isabel and Maribel’s homes were said to be minutes apart.

On September 14, 2018 a step towards justice for these two beautiful girls was made. Christopher Clements was indicted. He is facing 22 charges that include two counts of first degree murder, two counts of kidnapping of a minor under age 15, burglary, and 14 counts of sexual exploitation of a minor.

Christopher Clements (Source: Tucson police Department)

Clements has had an infamous history of being a criminal. By the age of 16, he was a convicted sex offender in Oregon. He went on to be arrested on felony charges of identity theft, telephonic harassment, failing to register as a sex offender, burglary, theft, and more.

While Tucson mourns for the tragic loss of Isabel Celis and Maribel Gonzalez, justice for these girls shall be rendered one step at a time.

Alyssa Urff, Sahuaro News Editor

Alyssa Urff is a junior at Sahuaro High School. She has been in Orchestra, Varsity Swim, Varsity Track & Field, and Choir. She has been playing the violin for 10 years, in track & field for 6 years, and swim for 3 years. She is a reporter for the school newspaper. She hopes to be a pilot, analyst, detective, musician, researcher, or any where else life takes her. She enjoys writing a lot. During her sophomore year she won an essay competition hosted by the Western National Parks Association. She also took home an award for first place in the chemical and material sciences category at SARSEF.  Her favorite color is red and she abhors the taste of chocolate. She is a desert native but plans on being somewhere where there is more rain than sunny days. Her favorite movies include anything from Transformers or Fast & Furious. She prefers Stephen King over John Green. Between juggling school, sports, and music, she enjoys learning, reading, traveling, long drives, the night, playing with her dogs, spending time with her family, and listening to music.