• October 4Blood Drive October 16th

• September 22FALL BREAK October 8-12

• September 22Teacher Grading Day October 5

Kavanaugh or Ford: Who Is to Be Believed?

Emma Walrath

Brett Kavanaugh was nominated by President Donald Trump to take a seat Justice Anthony Kennedy left open on the Supreme Court, and the confirmation hearing took a confusing turn when Dr. Christina Blazy Ford came forward, accusing him of sexually assaulting her in high school.

It has become a matter of “He said/She said”.  She has said that it was at a party when she was 15 years old and he was 17 years old. That she was cornered in a room with him when he pushed himself on top of her and as she tried to tell him to stop, his friend turned up the music louder and louder. Eventually, when she got away, she ran and locked herself in the bathroom and then left. She testified to this in front of the senate judiciary committee, stating, “I am here today not because I want to be,” Ford started her testimony, her voice breaking. “I am terrified. I am here because I believe it is my civic duty to tell you what happened to me while Brett Kavanaugh and I were in high school.”

All the people she says were there say that they do not remember this specific event.

Brett Kavanuagh continues saying that he denies this allegation completely. He brought his calendars from high school as evidence, showing that he couldn’t have been there. During his testimony he was adamant about clearing his name, but when asked multiple times if he would want an FBI investigation, he dodged the question and stated he would, “do whatever the committee wants.”  He stated, “The consequences will extend long past my nomination, the consequences will be with us for decades. This grotesque and coordinated character assassination will dissuade competent and good people of all political persuasions from serving our country.”

People believe Dr. Ford because she has evidence of her telling multiple people over the last thirty years about the incident and that he is a federal judge now. She also put her life on the national stage to be torn apart and brought up this horrible memory.

People don’t believe her because she did not come forward for so long, and when she did, it was to a Democratic politician.  Some believe her coming forward was just a political attack. Others say that she does not have enough evidence to support her claim.

Because the committee didn’t call forward any witnesses to testify, it has become a purely he-said-she-said situation and everyone has an opinion.

Emma Walrath, Headline News Editor

Emma Walrath is a junior at Sahuaro High School and the headline news editor for The Paper Cut. She is movie-buff, music lover, and a coffee enthusiast. She is on her second year of playing on the Sahuaro golf team. She loves sushi, the band SWMRS, and the movie The Princess Bride.  She also can fall down a YouTube hole for hours at a time. She loves to keep up with current events and is very politically minded. Emma is a feminist and a strong ally for the LGBTQ+ community. Her friends would describe her as someone filled with dark comedy and bravery, because she will order at a restaurant when everyone else is too nervous.