JTED Cosmetology – Free and Fun

Back to Article
Back to Article

JTED Cosmetology – Free and Fun

Kianna Montano, Beat Investagator-ELL/Foreign

If you are looking for anything to do outside of school, you can join our county program for a free education right after school ends. Pima JTED will help you get your license for anything you go to class for. You have many different options from medical, engineering, culinary, firefighter, cosmetology, and many other possible careers.

You have to sign up online to be in JTED. After you have applied for JTED, usually at the end of the prior school year, you go to an orientation of what you’re going to be doing throughout the year.

In JTED cosmetology you have two choices, doing a 1 year program or a 2 year program. The 1-year program is learning all about hair and you would start that your senior year. The 1 year students have to do 1000 hours of Mindtap (an online required course) in order to get their cosmetology license. The 2-year program is learning about nails, hair, eyebrows, styling, skin treatments and facials, makeup, and eyelash services. The 2-year students have to do 1600 hours of Mindtap to get their cosmetology license.

Cosmetology students go in 4 days a week from 3:30 to 7:30 PM and they also go in every other Saturday from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. It is crazy how many hours you have to do, but it in the end it is worth it.

Cosmetology is fun to learn about if you love makeup, getting your nails done, making your hair look nice, and also colouring your hair.

I’ve only been in JTED for 3 months already and it’s hard, but at the end of the day it’s worth it. Since the beginning of the year we’ve been learning how to give manicures and pedicures, then we started learning how to do gel nails, fiberglass, tips, acrylics with tips, and now we’re learning how to design flowers with acrylic powder. Soon the 2-year people will be switching to hair, which I’m super excited about.

Being a part of the JTED cosmetology takes up a lot of your own free time, but you’ll soon realize that it’s not as bad you thought it would be.  At the end, you go to Phoenix to take the State ?Board test and you are then a licensed cosmetologist.  This program is free, whereas if you were to pursue a license after high school, it could cost up to $13,000.

Kianna is a junior at Sahuaro High School and is excited to finally be a part of her school newspaper. She is also attending JTED for her cosmetology license;...