South Korean Students Take A Really Important Test!

Jaelen Whitehead, Fine Arts Co-Editor

Every November, students in South Korea take, probably, the hardest test in the world, the Suneung. This test is used to see what university the students will be able to go into. This test can also determine their job, income, where they live and future relationships. The students have been preparing for this test since they were 4 years old and spend 12 years preparing for this test!

This test, understandably, puts a lot of pressure on South Korean teens. Most of the students usually try to get a really high score so they can go to the best colleges that South Korea has to offer. Luckily, while they are preparing for the test, students can and usually go to a dokseosil, also know as a revision room, to study in silence for their test. Dokseosils are usually very dark and quiet, so it’s a really good place for students to study for this test. Students also have a lot of time to prepare for this test, so most of them should be fine if they study enough.

On the day of the test, the whole country is silent. All businesses close for the day and everyone must stay quiet so the students aren’t distracted. The teachers even have to wear trainers on their feet so their shoes don’t make noise during the test. Before the test starts, people wait out of the schools and hand out sticky toffees (known as yeot) for good luck. The test is such a big deal in South Korea, that the parents of the students testing usually go to temples and pray for their children’s success in the test.

We should wish the students in South Korea good luck for their test, for this will be the hardest and most important test they will ever take!