• February 12Feb 21-24: Rodeo Break

• February 12Wed, Feb 13th: Girls Basketball State game @ Sahuaro. Starts at 7:00 PM.

• February 12Wed, Feb 13th: Parent/Teacher Conferences from 6-8 PM.

• February 12Friday, Feb15th: Half Day. School is released @ 12:17. No Lunch or Supper Service

• January 9SENIORS: Submit Yearbook Quotes to [email protected]

JTED Vet Students Hold Free Grooming Clinic

Samantha Valdez, Opinon Editor

This year I joined a Pima JTED program. JTED stands for Joint Technological Education District, they offer many programs such as Veterinary Science, Caregiver, Cosmetology, Agriscience, Automotive Aviation, Construction Technologies, Emergency Medical Technician, Heavy Equipment Operations, Medical Assistant, Dental Assisting, Welding Technologies and many more. The point is they offer lots of programs for all different student interests. Most of these programs are available for Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors however some of the two year programs accept Juniors and Seniors only. Due to my love of animals I joined the JTED Veterinary Science program, it lasts two years and it helps students certify as Veterinary Assistants by the time they graduate high school.

Friday was the first time we were open to the public and were able to practice everything we had learned so far in the year, which covers: nail trims, bathing, grooming, de-shedding, anal gland expression, ear cleaning, and teeth brushing, so those were the services we offered. Our day started at 8 in the morning, and although we were only required to do a four-hour shift, I volunteered to work all day. Everyone was working together to get the clinic ready to welcome the first set of patients. While they were arriving, we brought them back to the rooms and started all the procedures owners wanted. We worked in groups of 3 and each of us took turns doing all the different procedures – one of us trimmed nails, another one of us cleaned the ears, then someone else brushed the teeth. When we got a new patient, we switched procedures so we all had a chance to practice every skill.

I thought that Friday was a great day. Besides working with patients, I got the chance to work in reception, do laundry, and lots and lots of cleaning. This showed me what it really was like to work all day, but I admit that I enjoyed ever minute. The biggest struggle I faced was not restraining the dog but feeling that the leash would be a protective tool and prevent the dog from falling or walking off the table. Thankfully none of those things happened, but I did catch myself several times holding onto the leash tighter than I was to the actual dog. Throughout the clinic, I was nervous when I had to even think about cutting a dog’s nails. Dogs have an area called a quick, which is filled with nerves and veins that bring blood supply. If you cut the quick, it hurts the dog and it’s very hard to stop the bleeding.  This made me very nervous, but when it came my turn to cut nails I was cautious and took my time so the dog was okay.

Working with different patients showed me how different every dog can be.  The first dog my group and I worked with was my teacher’s dog.  She is often used by my teacher when she has to show us demonstrations, so she was very well-behaved. Our next patient came to the clinic with its four other show dog siblings, and they were all exactly the same! They were all super hairy and de-shedding was a very long process. But this friend thankfully was also well-behaved. Soon it came time to work with a puppy and they were the cutest little thing, however I had to be extremely cautious because he was so young, we had to avoid him getting sick. A struggle that was very time- consuming was draining the bathtubs after our very furry friends got their baths; it did take a long time but thankfully we had no major backup.

I had a great time and this definitely helped me feel confident about pursuing my future vet career. I definitely recommend JTED to anyone who wants to graduate high school with a good start, but really go and take a look.  They offer all sorts of programs to target everyone’s likes. It is definitely a fun way to learn and get ahead!