Remembering Nick Fezzey – Class of 2017

Jamie Beck, Fine Arts/ Slideshow Editor

On March 25th, 2019 a former graduate of 2017 at Sahuaro High School lost his life in his sleep due to a seizure. “Nick was just a phenomenal guy. He was a great kid,” Principal Estrella, who knew Nick well, stated.  Nick was a special part of Ms. Barnes’ Mixed Advanced Choir class. Many current students were friends with him and are trying to cope with his loss. Ms. Barnes took the news especially hard.  “He was one of the most persistent and intent kids I know. He was truly sincere about wanting to do well.”  He was a former student in her beginning choir class and soon switched into her advanced choir class. When Nick joined her beginning class, he was in a screamo band and had vocal damage; after being in her class, he realized he wanted to heal his vocal cords and soon began studying piano. Ms. Barnes explained that Nick was “extremely focused, worked very hard, was very persistent, and a very neat kid.”  She went on to say, “I appreciated him because he pushed for a higher level of excellence.  He inspired us teachers to want to do better.”

Lylah Fields (2017 grad) was upset when she learned of Nick’s passing through Facebook.  “I was in choir with Nick for two years, and every time he would walk in the door his enthusiasm would brighten up the room. His personality was just always like that, and whether it was in rehearsal or passing by him in the hallway, he always smiled at everyone and made your day just that much better. He was a GREAT kid!!” Lylah says.

TJ Simon was also in choir and played football at Sahuaro. He recalls, “Nick was always so determined to do what he loved. One of the things I remember about him most is that he worked for two years to get into Advanced Choir. Every time he sang, he always looked so happy.”

Brittany Robertson, fellow choir member says, “I never was super close with Nick but I met him through choir. Once I started talking to him I knew he was a super nice guy. We started talking a lot about the rock bands we listened to and that’s when he told me he was in a band. I loved that we were able to connect through music!”

To all of Nick Fezzey’s family and friends: we are all truly sorry for the loss of a loved one and offer our sincere condolences. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you cope with his loss and remember him as someone who touched many people’s lives. “Once a Cougar always a Cougar.”