The Path to Math

Brianna Carrillo, Reporter

Not sure which Math class is right for you?  Well, read on…

(Senior or Junior ) Statistics or AP

The course introduces students to the major concepts and tools for collecting, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from data. There are four themes in the AP Statistics course: exploring data, sampling and experimentation, anticipating patterns, and statistical inference.

“AP stats is math but it’s a whole new level of math that takes a lot more critical thinking,” states senior, Juliet Sumba.

(Senior or junior ) Precal

In mathematics education, Precalculus is a course with college-level algebra and trigonometry that is designed to prepare students for the study of calculus. Schools often distinguish between algebra and trigonometry as two separate parts of the coursework.

“It is different; it gives you a deeper understanding and involves more critical  thinking that must be applied,” advises senior, Vanessa Ludwick.

(Senior or Junior) College algebra

This course is a modern introduction to the nature of mathematics as a logical system. It covers algebraic topics: algebraic expression, functions, and theory of equations.

(Senior) Calculus or AP

Calculus is the mathematical study of change, in the same way that geometry is the study of shape and algebra is the study of operations and their application to solving equations.

(Senior) Math finance

Finance is a class where students learn the type of math that you would use in your everyday life, such as using credit cards, filing taxes, and how to save and spend money wisely. 

“It helps you understand the things a little bit better to where you know what your doing,” says senior Evelyn Viveros.  

(Sophomore or Junior) Algebra 2 or honors

Algebra 2 is the third math course in high school and will guide you through, among other things, linear equations, inequalities, graphs, matrices, polynomials and radical expressions, quadratic equations, functions, exponential and logarithmic expressions, sequences and series, probability and trigonometry.

“I think algebra 2  is not challenging specifically for me, but it brings up interesting topics and helped prepare me for statistics. ” shares junior, Mekayla  Phan. 

(Freshman or sophomore) Geometry

Geometry is  concerned with the properties and relations of points, lines, surfaces, solids, and higher dimensional analogs. It covers trigonometry as well (having to do with shapes angles and properties)

(Freshman) Algebra

Algebra is the language through which we describe patterns. Think of it as a shorthand, of sorts. As opposed to having to do something over and over again, algebra gives you a simple way to express that repetitive process.math