CTE Electives for Those Who Like to Get Dirty

Jonathan Cruz, Reporter

The school year is coming to an end; with only four more months left of school, it’s time to consider which CTE elective you would like to have. For incoming freshmen, CTE stands for career and technical education and is basically a subject that helps with your career choice and prepares you for the work force as a chef, photographer, journalist, engineer and more. If you like to get your hands dirty, the top three that should be considered when enrolling are automotive, sports medicine, and culinary arts.

1. Automotive: In auto class, students will learn to utilize power and hand tools, the safety of maintenance, and the performance of the vehicle and engine. This will all happen through internships and job shadows. Students will also be able to participate in SkillsUSA to compete and receive leadership training. As I ask one question, what do you like best about this class? Casaran Blondeaux answered, “Getting to work and getting my hands dirty”. Automotive is taught by the one and only Mr. Ramsey.
  2. Sports Medicine: In Sports Medicine students will learn first aid and CPR along with the prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation of sports injuries. They also study nutrition, conditioning, and fitness. Students who attend this class may receive health credit. As the same question was asked, Trisha Crawford answered, “My favorite part about Advanced Sports Medicine is that we learn things that can potentially help save a life.” Sports medicine is taught by Becky Fajardo and Ashley DePugh.
  3. Culinary Arts: In Culinary Arts, students will learn the importance of kitchen safety, different methods of cooking and baking, be able to recognize foods and supplies for cooking and baking. Students will also be able to participate in SkillsUSA to compete and gain leadership qualities as well as provide catering services at outside functions.