Site Council Minutes from 1/12/2016

Call to the Audience   No audience
Action Items:  Approved minutes from December meeting
Discussion Items:

1. Faculty Report
    • Michael Halfmann took a group of three students to the Atria Residential Home where they took photos of the residents for the holidays and provided each resident with a CD of the photos. Students were able to earns hours for community service and the residents were very appreciative of the free photo shoot.
    • The loss of Michael Dunn, the finance office manager, and how it will affect the Sahuaro High School Community was discussed. Mr. Dunn will be missed, but the process of hiring a new manager and crew leader has already begun and Ms. Engel will be taking over the crew. Mr. Dunn will be leaving before the end of January.
    • We discussed at a prior meeting to drop the second bell during 2nd lunch and resetting the bells to the correct time. The office manager will be calling downtown to have the bells reset.
    • The issue of students in the 100 and 200 hallway during 2nd lunch will be addressed with security by admin.
    • There is currently no one handling the lunch-time interventions. The solution for now is to call parents about individual tardy problems.
    • The issue of students switching from one teacher/class to another was addressed by Mr. Estrella and Ms. Bolasky. There is an in-depth procedure followed and students have had several forms of interventions before having their schedules changed. This allows no barriers to learning opportunities. Shelly Krause has tutoring opportunities for AP students on Tuesday and Thursday after school in her classroom. Robin DePugh is a mentor for AP students and has contacted parents with a letter at the beginning of the school year, addressing the AP students’ options for tutoring. Teachers can also check the students’ online interventions and documentation of support plan when needed.
    • Principal report:
    • The Sneakers for Cancer Girls Basketball fundraiser was a success. It was a well-attended game with a large constituent of students who were well-behaved. Kudos to Steve Botkin and the girls’ Basketball teams!
    • The School Board honored Sahuaro Girls’ Golf Team at the Board Meeting Tuesday evening. Congratulations Coach Megan Hughes!
    • Course Selection will be taking place this month. Ms. Lange is updating a Power Point which should be shared with all students during Homeroom on Friday, January 14.  The Paper Cut will have articles about all specialty classes and electives.
    • AZ Merit: As of now, not a lot is known about the test. We will have to wait and see.
    • Bobby mentioned the lack of reports for Site Council from teachers. There is not a lot of positive events being reported. Any events worth talking about should be brought to the attention of the Site Council. If you know of anything that teachers are doing with their students or the community, please send this information to one of the Site Council members for the next meeting in February.  
    • Parent report:
    • Class of 2019 started a booster Club.
    • The PTSA met in December and donated $150.00 to The Giving Tree.
    • An idea for a future project was talked about at their December meeting.  The PTSA would like to adopt Sahuaro families and/or students at the beginning of the year. The community can help support the families with donations throughout the year.
    • Student Council report:
    • Next week is Spirit Week with an Assembly on Friday. After the basketball game Friday, a “Hoopcoming” Dance will be held in the new gym. Tuesday will be Wear/Tear (stripes or polka dots), Wednesday is old/young day, Thursday is College Day and Friday will be (tentatively) Circus day.
    • Student Council is currently planning for State at the end of February.
    • Community report: No report.

Announcements: The next meeting of the Sahuaro Site Council will be Tuesday, February 9th.

Meeting was adjourned at 4:43 pm.

Date: January 12, 2016 Location: Room 207
Time: 4:00 pm

Members:
Certified Representatives: Student Representatives:
Anna Marie Gantt
Eva Lange
Kimberly Gay

Michael Halfmann

Rick Botkin (absent)

Alea Balda

Parent Representatives:
Maria Saavedra

Aimee Bardiau (absent)

Craig Courville (absent)
Nelson Brown (absent)
Classified Representatives:

Pamela Diebold

Community Representative:

Darryl Day (absent)

Administration Representatives:
Bobby Estrella
Kathryn Bolasky