More Than A Hug

Football Coach Disarms Student With Shotgun

Nevaeh, reporter

October 18, 2019, high school football and track coach, Keanon Lowe, was celebrated as a hero earlier this year after he disarmed a student with a shotgun in Portland, Oregon. There were many accusations that coach Lowe allegedly tackled the armed student, but that wasn’t the case.

According to surveillance footage released by the district attorney’s office, instead of tackling the student, he in fact gave the student a passionate hug, and had a genuine conversation with him. Footage shows the student, identified as Angel Granados-Diaz, walking down the hallway where the camera was recording. He then moves out of the sight of the camera as he enters the classroom, right behind Lowe. Seconds later, people begin rushing through the hallways. Lowe is seen backing out of the classroom, with the shotgun in his right hand. Another staff member enters the hallway and takes the gun from Lowe.

Afterward, Lowe wraps the student in his arms. The coach rubs his back and holds him close, attempting to comfort the student. They’re later seen sitting on the floor of the hallway, waiting for the police to arrive. Coach Lowe told reporters at the time that they had an “emotional” connection together, according to CNN affiliate KATU .

The district attorney’s office said Granados-Diaz has made more than one suicidal statement to other students. He never pointed the shotgun at anyone but himself and never fired the gun on campus, the district attorney’s office said. He did attempt to try to pull the trigger but the shotgun, which had one round, did not fire. Then Lowe took the firearm from him.

Granados-Diaz eventually pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful possession of a firearm in a public building and one count of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in public, the office stated. He was sentenced on May 29,2019 to three years of probation. Under the agreement, Granados-Diaz will receive mental health and substance abuse treatment, the district attorney’s office said.