Coach Of The Decade: Steve Botkin

Alais Alzaga, Media Arts Editor

Coach Steve Botkin’s resume would look like this:

• Coach at Sahuaro since 1987
  • Over 500 wins
  • State Semifinals 3 times
  • Coach-of-the-Game Phoenix Mercury 2019
  • Male Coach-of-the-Year 2018
  • Mike Argrave’s Coach-of-the-Year 2018-2019
  • and now… Coach of the Decade.

Coach Botkin received this award on December 30th, 2019.  There was no big fanfare for this recognition – the way he found out was a notification from the nominator and giver of the award: Greg Hansen, an award-winning sports columnist for The Arizona Daily Star. Hansen wrote: Under Botkin, the Cougars went 218-67 in the decade, the most victories by any high school basketball coach, boys or girls, in Tucson. Sahuaro reached the state semifinals in 2015, 2018 and 2019 and have opened this season 8-0. No girls basketball team in Tucson, any level, won a state basketball championship in the decade.

Coach Botkin, a Sahuaro alumnus, is highly honored to get this award, stating this is the best school. He feels very blessed to have had these opportunities to get where he is now and that he learned from the best. When asked about his favorite part of coaching, he replied, ” I think my favorite part of coaching is the camaraderie. Seeing the girls bonding and then hearing years later that it was one of the most fun parts of their life and that I had an impact in their life.”

All players, past and present, adore Botkin.  India Brumfield, JV Point Guard, states, “He deserves it.  He works really hard and he’s a good coach.” Principal Estrella said, “It couldn’t have happened to a more deserving person. I am very proud.  He is dedicated and has a very good character.”