Drivers License ControversTEA!!

Nathalia Valdez, Editor-in-Chief

Unless you live under a rock, you’ve probably heard Drivers License by Olivia Rodrigo. The song quickly hit no. 1 in America’s Top 100 and Apple Music (and has remained there for the last 2 weeks). It’s undoubtedly a well-composed song, but is that the only reason it holds the no. 1 spot?

The drama behind the song is BOILING. If you’ve been on TikTok recently you may have seen videos, conspiring on who exactly Olivia’s singing about. However, if you’re still confused, grab a snack and relax, we’re about to go over the Britney Spears – JT scandal of this generation!

Olivia Rodrigo stars as ‘Nini’ (in the show she’s cast as Gabriela for her school play) in the Disney Plus original High School Musical: The Musical: The Series (we’ll call it HSMTM for the sake of time) alongside co-star ‘Ricky Bowen’ (cast as Troy) A.K.A Joshua Bassett. These two undisputedly had LOTS of chemistry throughout the series, and if you don’t believe me Joshua improvised a whole scene declaring his love for Olivia. Nevertheless, it was never publicly declared that Olivia and Joshua dated, but Olivia’s new single practically confirms it. Many HSMTM fans believe that Joshua and Olivia never dated due to their age difference – during the filming of HSMTM Joshua was 19, while Olivia was 16. At one point Joshua wrote a song about falling in love with his best friend, but she was with someone else… not surprisingly Olivia HAD A BOYFRIEND at the time of Joshua’s song release. Later, Olivia wrote “Gross” saying, “Not long ago when I saw you there. With your brown eyed grin and your messy hair. And every girl at the party was looking at you (Ooh, ooh, ooh). I wonder what I’d say if I knew back then. That the brown eyed boy’d be my best friend. And the one I’d give my heart to (Ooh, ooh, ooh). ” WHAT??! That’s clearly about Joshua.

See the source image
Sabrina and Josh’s Halloween TikTok

Even though the chemistry was clearly there, Olivia and Joshua unexplainably weren’t hanging out as frequently. Then, OUT OF NOWHERE Sabrina Carpenter and Joshua Bassett posted a Halloween TikTok together, and later on they’re seen at a BLM protest kissing! So what happened to Olivia?

See the source image
Sabrina Carpenter

Like any good musician, Olivia wrote her feelings and created an amazing song. The lyrics go, “I got my driver’s license last week Just like we always talked about ‘Cause you were so excited for me”, in a past interview Olivia stated that her and Josh went to In-N-Out where he let her drive his car around the parking lot, she also admits that was the first time she ever drove a car! In the song she also said, “And you’re probably with that blonde girl. Who always made me doubt. She’s so much older than me. She’s everything I’m insecure about.” Sabrina is a BLONDE, and she’s 22. Coincidence? I think not! Near the end Oliva sings, “Red lights, stop signs, I still see your face, in the white cars…” and can you guess who owns a white car!?! Joshua Freaking Bassett.

Sabrina Carpenter later released her single “Skin” (which is no. 2 on iHeart Radio Top 100)  where she says, “Maybe blonde was the only rhyme.” A direct CLAP BACK to Olivia’s song. She also says, “You can try to get under my (under my under my) skin, while he’s on mine…” WHOA! She later sings, “Don’t drive yourself insane,” DRIVE YOURSELF INSANE? HUH? While neither artist has addressed who the song is about, it’s clear there’s some sort of dispute going on.

Even though the tea is undoubtedly HOT, many speculate it’s all just a giant PR stunt, and if it is, it definitely worked. “Drivers License” is No. 1 on multiple platforms, “Skin” coming in as close no. 2 (not to mention Sabrina just signed a record label) and Joshua has released 2 songs since Drivers License. So is it all real drama or just a giant successful PR stunt? I guess time will tell, but for now #STREAMDRIVERSLICENSE.