Sahuaro Infiltrates the Ronald McDonald House

Abby Latini, News Editor

The Ronald McDonald House is a place where families of sick children can come and relax and not have to worry about cleaning a kitchen or cooking a meal every night. On the Ronald McDonald House’s website they share one of their values, “Our Houses are built on the simple idea that nothing else should matter when a family is focused on the health of their child – not where they can afford to stay.”

Every day, a group volunteers to cook. There is a new group for breakfast, lunch, and then dinner.

Both HOSA and NHS volunteered on separate days to cook for families who live at the Ronald McDonald House.

On March 26th, 2016 HOSA (Health Occupation Student Association) made a taco bar and then cupcakes. There were 11 students who volunteered their time along with Ms. Becky, Sahuaro Sports Med teacher and Athletic Trainer.

Sam Longo, Senior at Sahuaro said, ” I really enjoyed helping those that were stressed about other things besides what they would be eating that night. It helps put things in perspective seeing the basic needs of others and how I can help them with something so simple like this.”

On March 29th, 2016 the National Honor Society from Sahuaro volunteered to cook a chicken sandwich dinner for the residents and their families. NHS made chicken sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, mixed vegetables, and then chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. There was a group of 11 students and they all split up to cover different tasks.

Samantha Seaman, a senior and vice president of NHS said, ” I really enjoyed cooking for the Ronald McDonald House because it was a really great opportunity to bond with the people who volunteered. Some of the people who were there weren’t comfortable with the cooking utensils, so teaching them was also a good experience. I think it is important to volunteer and it was for a great cause.”

The Ronald McDonald Houses are usually located close to hospitals where the ill children are being taken care of and this allows parents and siblings to stay close by and offer support. Providing a place for families to stay without having a heavy burden of costs on their shoulders allows an environment for children and families to heal.

“Throughout the meal I felt prideful for what this club has done for the community. We were able to serve those in need and that’s the legacy NHS should be and is known for,” Leslie Cole, Treasurer, said.

It is easy to volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House but fortunately for the families the dates fill up quick! So plan ahead if you want to spend your time volunteering to cook a meal at the Ronald McDonald House.