Senior Spotlight: Madison Eaton

Marley Gandee, Editor

Madison, “Madie” Eaton, a Sahuaro senior, has been playing basketball and volleyball at Sahuaro since her freshman year. Before that, she went to Family Life Academy for elementary up until 8th grade, when she switched over to Tucson Country Day. Besides her main hobbies of basketball and volleyball, she also likes to hang out with her friends, go to the mall and read. She enjoys reading a lot of true crime and mystery books, which transfers into her dream career of being a detective. Her favorite class this year was basketball class, but academically, it was English and Economics.

Madie will be going to the University of Arizona for her studies, and possibly playing volleyball for their club team. She wants to go to the UofA because of her love for the campus and to be closer to her family and friends.

Her love for sports began in 6th grade when she started playing basketball. She then decided to join volleyball, after a bit of encouragement from her mom. Her favorite sport to watch is basketball, but she can’t decide which one she likes to play more. She said, “It taught me discipline and hard work. It taught me not to be lazy.” Through sports, she has found another family and her natural talent for being a leader. She overcame so many challenges throughout her years of sports, the biggest one being this year when she began to doubt herself. She felt everyone around her getting really good but even though she was, she was having a hard time seeing it. She had been playing club volleyball, and having to keep up with her school work as well. But, she kept going and made it a really great year for herself.

During the volleyball banquet this year, her coach read off her rankings, and she said, “I wasn’t expecting my rankings to be as high as they were, so like just knowing that accomplished doing so good at what I loved, it was just amazing.” Madie was number 1 in digs for the region and number 4 for digs in 4A. After her coach read them off to her she said to herself, “I did it.” Madie’s favorite memory from volleyball was, “During the volleyball games this year, me and Jenna had like an awesome save, it went hand and hand, and then we won the rally and just turned to each other and screamed.” Her favorite memory from basketball is when the team went to the tournament in Phoenix, and made it all the way to the championships.