Sahuaro Basketball is a Threat

Sahuaro Basketball is a Threat

James Force, Sports Editor

The girls’ basketball season here at Sahuaro has started and is going extremely well. The team is blowing teams out left and right and it doesn’t seem like anyone can stop us. We are 9-0 and we haven’t won a game by less than 23 points.

Team co-captain AJ Bonaparte said, “Nobody can really stop us yet… Salpointe is going to be the challenge,” which is how most people at Sahuaro feel… like we are unstoppable. But being this unstoppable also comes with certain other issues, team co-captain Nelly Ponds said, “Playing teams that can’t compete takes out the fire in you.” Both AJ and  Nelly said they don’t like having to stop playing, or having to run different plays just because they are blowing a team out. When asked if there was a lot of pressure being a captain on the team they both agreed that “There’s no pressure, everyone on the team is a leader, we don’t boss around and we don’t feel the need to be excessive, everyone knows what to do.”

Now they are basketball players, but they are also students. When asked how they handle their assignments while also playing basketball AJ said, “I do my best to get it all done in class,” while Nelly said, “I procrastinate but it all ends up getting done.” When asked about some advice to give to students AJ said, “Do what you do, don’t let people change you.” Nelly said,”Find the balance, make sure you keep your goals.” They also answered what they would say to themselves if they could go back to freshman year, AJ said, “I’d just tell myself to stay out of my head.” and Nelly said, “I’d tell myself to be more serious.”