Jewish/ Latino Coalition

Jewish/ Latino Coalition

Jacob Hernandez, Reporter

If you’re a sophomore or junior and enjoy learning about others and sharing your culture, then the Jewish – Latino teen coalition is for you! The point of the Coalition is to get youngsters involved in cultural understanding, leadership training, social action, and advocacy.

“It was bringing the Jewish and Latino heritage together to combat against poverty in impoverished areas in Tucson.  My group consisted of five Latin and five Jewish students from across Tucson who went to  Washington D.C. to meet congressmen and legislators,” according to Austin Lange, who attended it in 2010.  “We got to lobby for a cause, see all the major sites in D.C., and all pretty much for free.  I’m actually minoring in Political Science at the U of A right now.  This was a great experience.”

If interested see Mrs. Weber – Lowrie. To apply, you will send an application postmarked by Friday, October 23, to the Jewish Community Council, located at 3822 E. River Rd. Tucson, AZ 85718, Attn: Shari Gooter. You will need one letter of recommendation from a teacher or mentor.

The following questions must be answered (two pages maximum for all questions).

• Why are you interested in being a participant in the coalition program and trip to Washington, DC?
  • What can you contribute to the coalition?
  • Briefly describe an experience where you learned more about your own or someone else’s culture.

Attend an interview in November (finalists will be contacted for interviews).

The program will begin with a mandatory meeting scheduled to take place between 12:30 – 4:00 on December 13, 2015. All participants must attend this initial meeting. If selected you will be required to attend workshops and work with other selected teens on social action projects before and after you return from Washington, DC. The trip is scheduled for Spring 2016 (exact dates to be determined) and will include three days of learning about Jewish and Latino cultures and how our government works with the two communities. The program cost is $225, scholarships available.

Info: Shari Gooter, 520-577-9393 or [email protected]