• September 17Monday (Dynamic Duo) Tuesday (Suburban Mom and Dad) Wednesday (Wacky Wednesday) Thursday (Decades Day) Friday (Bikers vs. Surfers) Homecoming (blackout)

Drumline Season Ends on a Spooky Note

Bethany Seal, Sports Editor

The 2018 indoor drumline season has come to a close. After four months of putting together their show “Spiritus Ipsum”, they performed at their last competition on April 7th at the ASU Wells Fargo Arena, winning them a 67 point score and another plaque to add to their wall.

The musicians arrived at school bright and early at 4 am and took a bus to the arena, where they performed at 9:30 and stayed until awards at 4pm. These early mornings and late nights are normal for drumline, and trips to Phoenix for competitions are a weekly occurrence. Though it requires a lot of dedication, it always ends in stronger friendships and an amazing show.

Lower Battery- Trinity Brandenburg, Kiara Garrett, and Ben Balda

Indoor drumline is an ensemble that involves marching-percussion (drums) and front ensemble instruments such as marimbas and other keyboards. It is very similar to marching band, where musicians play their instruments while marching, but it takes place on a fold-out mat in a gymnasium. The sport requires focus, as marchers have to memorize both their music and the marching patterns they must follow, called drill. Most drumlines are much smaller than marching bands in numbers, allowing the musicians to form bonds with each other and to learn how to work in a team. The Sahuaro drumline is run by Hillary Engel, our band and guitar director.

Upper Battery- Jake Garcia, Conner Pessin, Amanda Mourelatos, Miles Guerrero, and Lily Woods

Tucson drumlines often compete in competitions that are hosted by the Winter Guard of Arizona (WGAZ), which is a foundation that focuses on “guiding the competitive development of winter guards, percussion ensembles, and wind ensembles in the southwest”. At these competitions, usually held at high schools and colleges, they perform the show that they have been preparing for the current season. Their show is judged on visual effects, quality of music, and the overall ability to keep the audience captivated.

Kiara Garrett is Sahuaro Drumline’s drum captain. She is a senior who has done drumline all four years, and she plays the marching bass drum. She was very happy with the way her last season ended, and she’s looking forward to coming back and
helping out next year. “I’m super proud of how we did this season, and I’m happy I was able to work with such great people. I wouldn’t have wanted my last season to go any other way.”

Front Ensemble- Joaquin Cota, Tashena Smith, Jarilyn Jackson, Lyneah Rivera, and Bethany Seal

Miles Guerrero is a junior snare player for the drumline. He has done drumline for 3 years, and is also very proud of this year’s turnout. “I’m sad that it’s over, but it was one of the best seasons I’ve ever been in.” He told us about how many people he has gotten close with through the sport who have helped him to create wonderful memories. “I’m definitely going to miss the people. You get a bunch of different personalities and it’s really cool.”

Miles also explained that drumline is not very well known by the school, but this year he believes that this season’s success will show others how much hard work and dedication goes into the sport. “It takes a lot of hard work and team effort. You can’t just do it for yourself or else it won’t happen.”

Bethany Seal, Sports Editor
Bethany Seal is a freshman at Sahuaro and this is her first year working with The Paper Cut. She loves all things music, and plays the piano and the flute. She is also in the Sahuaro Colorguard and hopes to one day be captain. Her goal is to stay involved in both language and fine...