Sahuaro Hosts Car Show

Brandon Barr, Sports Editor

Sahuaro hosted a car show on Saturday, February 2nd. The car show was a lot of work to get going and it had to be proposed in November to find a date where nothing, or very little, was happening at Sahuaro to make sure the parking lot was empty. Sahuaro Auto teacher Mr. Ramsey said, “We had 120 cars with everything between a Model T to a jet powered dragster.” Mr. Ramsey believes that a good portion of the success and the number of people that showed up at the car show was because of the flyers that were sent out that looked and felt very professional.  Mr. Ramsey also says that, “This was the biggest show we ever had. It was almost like a family gathering. People respected our campus and did not drink or smoke during the car show.” Sahuaro got help funding the car show from many donations including Major League Baseball player and former Sahuaro High graduate, Alex Verdugo.

Sahuaro senior Anthony Doherty said, “My favorite part about the car show was that a bunch of people from all around Tucson were able to come together and just talk about their favorite thing – cars. I also liked being able to talk to people about their cars and hear all the crazy and difficult stories behind them.” The car show had many cars that were worth over $100,000. Austynn Martin says, “…the auto club and all others that helped much appreciate everyone who attended and brought out their cars to show.”

At the end of the car show there was an award show with awards such as best of show, best paint, best interior, and the best cars ranked 1-10. Sahuaro faculty voted on the cars that won each award. Mr. Ramsey hopes for a bigger and even better car show next year and this year’s was a great success and had many professional cars show up to participate.