Sahuaro Advances to Final Four

Brandon Barr, Sports Editor

On Saturday, February 18, the Sahuaro girls basketball team took on the Pueblo Warriors at home. The Warriors came into the game with the plan on double teaming one of Sahuaro’s top scorers, Alyssa Brown, to prevent her from scoring. The plan seemed to work to start though, as Alyssa Brown had a hard time getting started, but the other players did not let that stop the Cougars as they still had a commanding lead to start the game and it didn’t let up as the score was 32-20 in favor of the Cougars.

Pueblo fans seemed to outnumber the Sahuaro fans and to start the second half, Sahuaro got a student section going. That seemed to motivate the Cougars and give them drive as they got off to a fast start and had a commanding 51-32 lead. The student section irritated some Pueblo fans as two people got kicked out of the game during the third quarter. Sahuaro had a hard time closing out the game and keeping Pueblo away for good, as Pueblo gained some ground on the deficit. Sahuaro never gave up the lead however and won the game 69-54.

Sahuaro now goes up to Phoenix for their semi-final matchup against tenth ranked Shadow Ridge at 5:45 pm on Friday night at Grand Canyon University. If our Cougars win their semi- final game, the State Championship game will be on Saturday at 5:00 pm at Gila River Arena.