• Last Day of School for Students (5/23)
  • Graduation (5/22)
  • Honors Night (5/14)

Polls

What's the best part of summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Why is Social Media Harmful To Society?

Social media has become a large part of our lives, connecting us with friends, family, and the world. However, its impact on society is not all positive. In fact, social media can have a negative effect on our mental health and overall well-being.

One of the biggest worries about social media is how it promotes a never-ending comparison. Seeing carefully organized highlight reels of others’ lives can lead to feelings of insufficient and low self-esteem. The pressure to present a perfect image can be overwhelming, negatively impacting mental health.

Cyber bullying is another issue I  see on most social media platforms. The invisibility of these platforms can cause people to gain more courage to have a negative attitude towards others, causing emotional distress, and even pushing some to extreme measures such as embarrassment, insecurities, and even self-harm. I personally have experienced cyber bullying and the impact of it can be long-lasting and deeply damaging.

Another reason I believe social media is harmful to society is isolation and disconnection. While it seems to bring people closer together, studies have shown that excessive social media use can lead to loneliness and depression. The constant scrolling and virtual interaction can never fully replace genuine human connection.

It is crucial to recognize the potential harm that social media can place on society. We must be careful with the use of social media by setting boundaries and by prioritizing our mental health. By being mindful of our online habits and encouraging healthy offline relationships, we can eliminate the negative impact social media has on us and create a more balanced and fulfilling life. Remember it is important to use social media responsibly and take care of ourselves and each other. I think we can stay more positive and more mindful without as much social media in our lives.