• Last Day of School for Students (5/23)
  • Graduation (5/22)
  • Honors Night (5/14)

Polls

What's the best part of summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Sahuaro Girls Volleyball Varsity Team: First Scrimmage Of 2023!

The Sahuaro Girls’ Volleyball Varsity team’s first scrimmage was held at Sahuarita High School. They had good competition that night playing Mountain View, Sahuarita, and Benson. The girls were pretty anxious, considering it was their first actual set of games since last season. The games were very intense; there were a lot of good plays, but there were a lot of dicey plays in the game as well. Outside hitter, Carly Coolidge, said in a pre-game interview, “I believe the games will be slightly difficult for our team, but it’s nothing we haven’t seen before.”

According to Varsity Coach, Sean Haynes, the girls went 1-2. Even though the scores were not kept during the scrimmage, that is how he feels the girls played that night. Throughout the game, Coach Haynes was also assisted by Coach Jane, who coached for the volleyball club, Cactus. He was also assisted by Coach Hailey, a college student who coaches for AZ Summit. They seemed to give the girls an extra source of encouragement, which helped the ladies pull through the challenges.

Natalyn Howell, starting right side/outside alternate hitter said, “I feel like if the team has a good mindset and is good with communication going into the games, then we can pull through with the win.”

The team’s bench was full of energy throughout the three games. Whenever one of the girls got in their heads during the game, one of them would help get them to lock them in for the team and bounce back. Coach Haynes also looked concentrated during the games, telling the girls what they needed to work on in a professional manner.

Concerning the rest of the season, the girls seemed nervous, but also excited because it is a new season, with a new team, and new competition.  Coach Haynes also said he is excited to see how the girls will do in their next games coming up, especially their first home game. Overall, the ladies had a great couple of first games.