Come Out to Girls Tennis!

Sahuaro’s girl’s tennis team is an extremely welcoming community, open to people of all playing experiences. Captain Annalise Morgan says, “Even though I’m captain, everyone treats me the same and I wouldn’t want it any other way. Tennis is a universal sport.”

Annalise Morgan and Jillian Stachowski stretching.

Our girl’s tennis coach, Sandy Novak, had been coaching boys’ volleyball before switching to girls’ tennis in 2017. She explained, “I think we have a good group of girls who are fun to be around and are trying to get better in tennis.”

If you join tennis, you’ll get to travel! Traveling to other schools makes for a great opportunity to practice proper sportsmanship and maybe even form friendships. Jillian Stachowski is a strong promoter of this, saying, “My favorite part is traveling with all my teammates to all the different schools and the girls we meet while playing.”

Girls practicing with Coach Novak.

Tennis isn’t only an individual sport – you can also play with a partner. Some people, like senior Cassie Coolidge, prefer that, saying, “My favorite part of tennis is playing doubles.” Don’t worry if you prefer to work alone, though, as you always can. Tennis is an extremely flexible sport.

Tennis is, for the most part, an individual sport. This is great for those of us who might be scared to try out! Beginners are always welcome, when joining you’ll be paired up with someone at your skill level. It might also be nice to know, you’re not the only one. Haylee Thuy Vi Au agrees, saying, “I love tennis due to the fact it’s an individual sport, so I can only blame myself when I play good or bad, and it makes me want to always achieve better and be better.”

Tennis girls hard at work.

Our tennis team is small, so next year, bring a friend! For some people, like Carly Coolidge, her favorite part of tennis is, “…Being with my friends on the team.” While tennis isn’t always a partnered sport, it’s great to have someone to pair with.

The team is currently 6-2. Their next game is Tuesday, April 9th against Amphitheater High School. Come check them out!