Empty Chair Project

Empty Chair Project

Autumn Fatovich, News Editor

Latinos Unidos is a group dedicated to representing and educating   Sahuaro’s campus on Latino culture. Their next endeavor, led by president Francisco Acuna, is participating in the Empty Chair Project and they would like your help!

The Empty Chair Project is a project being put on by Teatro Digna in memory of the 43 male students who were training to be teachers. They disappeared in Iguala after protesting against the Mexican government about two years ago. The official investigation concluded that once the students were in custody, they were handed over to the local Guerreros Unidos (“United Warriors”) crime syndicate and presumably killed.

When asked why they decided to do this project, Frankie replied, “Because we feel that these students shouldn’t be forgotten and that people at Sahuaro should be aware of what happened.” This project was brought to their attention when Ms. Martinez, their club adviser, suggested it as an activity for the club. “I thought they should do this project because Mexicans believe in three deaths: when they die on earth, when they are remembered, and when they are forgotten. Having a chair dedicated to them keeps them alive because it keeps them known,” said Ms. Martinez.

How to help:

Latinos Unidos will be starting the project in early February. They meet every Tuesday from right after school until 4 p.m. Anyone, regardless of ethnicity,  is welcome and encouraged to come out and help support and work on this project! There will be a performance held to recognize the different chairs in this project. This ceremony will be held at the YMCA 525 Bonita on February 23rd.