World’s Largest Snake Found Dead

A lot of people were astonished that during the filming for National Geographic’s Disney+ series, Pole to Pole, a group of scientists from the University of Queensland, directed by the indigenous Huaorani people, uncovered a subspecies of one of the four largest snake species, the green anaconda. This newer species is 5.5 percent genetically different from the southern green anaconda.

This newly discovered snake, now named Ana Julia, took the crown for the largest anaconda in the world. Found in South America, this snake species gets around quickly, catching food by squeezing prey with their own body. Ana Julia measured around 26 feet and was over 400 pounds. The size of her head was easily comparable to a human’s. She is also seen swimming with one of the scientists, who isn’t afraid of being close to the snake. Anacondas are known for usually staying on their own hunting grounds. They aren’t a threat to humans unless provoked.

Upon her discovery, many were fascinated, mainly by her size. Scientists were excited to share information about this snake and to educate others about her.

Weeks after her discovery, researchers and scientists were deeply upset to find out Ana Julia was found dead in her habitat, the Amazon rainforest.

One of the many scientists who worked on discovering this new snake claims that its a possibility she was shot by hunters. Though her death is still being investigated, a Dutch researcher who was involved in the discovery stressed that it is just a possibility. Authorities and researchers have yet to find evidence that proves the snake was shot, increasing the chances of her simply dying due to natural causes or another creature. However the scientists are more certain it was a hunter, as this isn’t the first time something like this has happened, and it isn’t out of the ordinary for creatures like snakes, who are seen as scary and threatening, to be hunted.

Shown across many social media platforms, people have shown disgust towards the hunters and sadness for the snake. Many express that the hunters should be charged with poaching. Some are also putting a small amount of blame on the researchers and scientists for being so open about Ana Julia’s location, and it would be better if she was kept a secret. However, many oppose that, believing scientists had little control.

Because of her death, many fear what the future will be like for new wildlife, and are waiting on what consequences situations like this will bring.