TUSD New and Revised Code of Conduct Under Review

Autumn Fatovich, News Editor

Tucson Unified School District has attempted for years at an alternative to suspension program.  Drugs, alcohol and aggravated-assault infractions were met with counseling services rather than out-of-school suspensions. The program cost TUSD more than $400,000 for five certified teachers, a counselor, a behavior intervention monitor, tutoring and teaching supplies. Insiders said the district’s push to reduce suspensions and expulsions to meet a federal anti-discrimination court order caused district wide disorder.

Because of all the backlash, TUSD has drafted a new code of conduct for the 2017-2018 school year (even though the school year is almost over). They posted the draft online for public input before proposing it to the Governing Board for final approval. This Code of Conduct was written by stakeholders, students,parents, administration, and other members of the community.

The new revised code of conduct that is being proposed is written more clearly for the common people. The rules and regulations are straight to the point allowing a better comprehension. There are also flow charts for better comprehension. The proposed code has three levels of disciplinary response that school personnel can choose from, depending on the severity of the incident. The first level of response occurs in the classroom, the second level involves support staff like counselors, and the highest response gets school administration involved.

The new draft for the 2017-2018 school year has already cost TUSD $35K to write and is still under review. The proposed plan is expected to go to the Governing Board on April 25 for review.