Florida University Students Shut Down Speech

Neo Nazis Not Welcome

Dorian Chase, News Co-Editor and Production.

In January of this year, there was a news story about a white nationalist, or “Alt-Right,” leader who got punched in the face during a speech he was giving. The group has been popping up in news and media outlets left and right, and the name, Richard Spencer has been associated with white supremacy and Neo-Nazism ever since. These rallies are no strangers to violencecontroversy, or protest. Spencer’s recent rally in Florida was no exception to this trend, even exceeding some of his past rallies.

Richard Spencer was scheduled to speak at the University of Florida, but the students at the school would have none of it. Spencer was greeted by crowds of people, but not the crowds he had anticipated. The students shouted, “Go home Spencer!” and “Black Lives Matter!” Spencer still made his way to the stage at Phillips Center, and refused to leave. Despite the fact that the protesters had much larger numbers than his supporters, and that there was a heavy police presence, some still tried to retaliate by shooting into the crowd of protesters. Luckily no one was injured and the three were caught and charged. Spencer’s speech was cancelled, and the students of University of Florida consider this a victory.