• May 18Senior breakfast Thursday May 24 at 8 am

• May 18Senior grades due Tuesday May 22

• May 17Senior sunset Tuesday May 22 at 6:45 pm

• May 7Final Exams: 5/23 Period 2/4/6; 5/24 Periods 1/3/5

• May 7May 18 All-School Picnic - Bring money

School Shootings Becoming Normal?

Emergency crews respond to Marshall County High School where one person has been confirmed dead following a shooting Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2018. (Ryan Hermens/The Paducah Sun via AP)

Avery Miller and Dorian Chase

On January 15th, the most fatal school shooting of 2018 so far occurred. This shooting, which took place at Marshall County High School in Kentucky took two victims, students Bailey Holt and Preston Cope. In addition to this, 18 more students were injured. The shooter was an unnamed 15 year old male, who was arrested at the scene.

In Italy, Texas on January 22nd, a 16 year old student at Italy High School shot a peer with a semi automatic handgun. Targeting students in the cafeteria, the shooter ran out of bullets before he was able to harm another student. The victim was a 15 year old girl, who was airlifted to a hospital. The unnamed girl is now back home with her family, and they are optimistic about her recovery.

These are just two of eleven school shootings that have happened already this year, below is a list of the other shootings.

–  January 22nd: a gun was fired in a charter school parking lot located in New Orleans. One student was slightly injured while running from the bullets.

–  January 20th: One student, Najee Ali Baker, was shot dead on the campus of Wake Forest University in North Carolina

–  January 15th: A bullet was fired into a Wiley College dorm during a firefight in Marshall, Texas. No one was injured.

– January 10th: The police got a call from an active shooter, when the authorities got to the scene they found a 14 year old boy shot dead inside of the bathroom.

– January 10th: A gun was mistaken for a training weapon at Grayson College in Denison, Texas.

– January 10th: California State University reported a gun shot on campus. No one was injured.

–  January 9th: A 14 year old boy was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at Coronado Elementary school in Sierra Vista, Arizona.

– January 6th: A 32 year old man opened fire with a pellet gun at a bus of elementary school-aged children in Forest City, Iowa

– January 4th: Seattle High School had 2 gunshots fired during classes, no one was injured. The same day a man committed suicide in a school parking lot located in Michigan.

In just the month of January, there have been 11 fatalities, making many de-sensitized to the horror of gun violence in schools.

About the Writers
Avery Miller, Co-Editor of Cougart
Avery Miller is a sophomore and the Co-Editor of Cougart for The Paper Cut. Her drive to write creatively has landed her a spot on The Paper Cut team. She shows her school spirit by playing on the softball team, and catching some rays swimming on the swim team. In her free time she likes to read fiction novels and watch movies curled up...
Dorian Chase, Co-Editor of News
Dorian Chase is a senior and the Co-Editor of News for The Paper Cut. Born and raised in Tucson, Arizona, he’s currently coming to terms with the fact that he wants to be a physics teacher Dorian enjoys sleeping, and occasionally napping for four or more hours at a time. He plays two instruments, the guitar and the bass, and...